
Ahh... Chai Thursday. I look forward to this day every week- the day that chai is only $2.00 at Brooklyn Bagels. Randy I usually make a "chai run" right after Wyndham goes down to bed, and race home just in time to watch "Grey's Anatomy"... Warning: don't watch it unless you are prepared to get addicted!
Anyone who is the parent of a toddler knows that bedtime usually requires advanced preparation and several carefully followed routines in order for everything to go smoothly.
Our Nightly Schedule:
6PM: Dinner
6:30PM: Clean-Up/Crumb dance in high chair
6:45PM: Dance/Singing time in the living room: Includes "Body Song" and scarf dancing to "Old MacDonald" (Thank you elementary music education)
6:50PM: Clean up time/Daddy starts bath
6:55PM: Wyn's nightly naked streak through the house
7PM: Bubble Bath
7:15PM: Wyn and new friend, "ba-bee doll" pick out a book to read
7:25PM: Prayer, kisses (Joo-Cee kisses), and pooh bear and elephant tuck-in
7:29PM: "Wash" the green binkie one last time before inserting into mouth (don't even ask how that tradition got started)
7:30PM: Nigh-Nigh time
As we creep out of the darkened room, giving our final goodnights, we are already half dressed to leave with the car running. Often,we screech into Brooklyn Bagel's parking lot, and even though they are almost completely cleaned-up by the time we get there, they always mercifully hand over two cups of chai. Mmmm... the cinnamonny goodness:)
I always have an awkward flutter in my stomach when we drive up. One look into the restaurant, and you can see the dark-haired Thursday night worker giving the "don't you know we close in 5 minutes look".This has become such a common routine, she often leaves the chai materials out until after we leave.
Tonight, I went on a chai mission alone. When I pulled up, I breathed a small sigh of relief when I looked in and saw that there appeared to be a new worker behind the counter. It was a man, and more importantly, a man who had no idea who I was... my secret late night chai identify was safe... at least until NEXT Thursday night.
My relief was only momentary as around the corner came the dark-hair Thursday night girl. Apparently she was training the new guy... probably giving him the low-down on all of the annoying regulars that come in begging for late-night coffee.Lucky, she frothed my yummy treat up in a flash, and I reached for the cup fully prepared to get out ASAP.
"So, he finally put a ring on your finger" the dark-haired Thursday night worker said....
"I'm sorry, what was that?" I said as I turned back.
"I see that your boyfriend finally put a ring on your finger after all this time", she said again.
I couldn't figure out what she was talking about, and then it hit me-- after almost 2 years of frequenting Brooklyn Bagels, she thought that Randy and I had been dating, and were finally ENGAGED! I giggled and said, "Actually, we've been married for almost 5 years".
"Really?!" She said in total shock. "He always comes in here with a 'love-sick' look on his face. You know- the kind of look that guys get when they are totally in love. You can just tell. Wow. I just thought you guys were dating. Most couples don't seem that into each other... at least couples I see in here".
Woa. Was I talking to dark-haired Thursday night worker- the one I was just SURE hated me? I could now see that her name was "Laura" from the embroidery on her shirt. Besides the fact that she was talking to me, was she saying that my husband actually looks like he's in LOVE with me??? Woa.
"That's interesting that you would think that. We feel so old and unromantic anymore. For example, it's Chai and Grey's Anatomy night tonight. We have no social life to speak of at the moment... we are each OTHER'S social life right now".
She laughed and assured me that everyone has a "routine". She told me to say "hi" to my boyfriend for her as I turned to leave.
2 Things I learned on this memorable Chai Thursday:
#1: Always talk to the people that serve you- you might be surprised that they DON'T hate you...
#2: After 5 years of marriage, a child, and a move into my parents house, Randy still has the same forlorn depressed look in his eye for me that he had when we were dating...
What is it about getting a compliment on your spouse that makes you go, "Man you're hot!".. ?
Chai Thursday... how sweet it is...
No comments:
Post a Comment