I have taken a "holiday" from blogging as we have been busy visiting with family friends these last 2 weeks. Since we have been traveling quite a bit this year, we decided to stay here in IL for the Holidays and just .....be....ahhhh.
The week before Christmas we were happy to welcomed our friends John and Kim Hoerger to our home all the way from Minerva OH! They made their way through treacherous weather to see us. Now THAT'S devotion! We had a great time corrupting their country ways:) They attended church with us on Sunday, and we even got to show them around Chicago a bit before enjoying some traditional deep dish pizza together. Mmmmm...They are like family to us and we are thankful we could share several nights talking, sharing coffee and praying together.
Family Christmas :)
The Sunday before Christmas, Wyn's preschool class was featured during the service singing "Who Was There that First Christmas Day?". Due to 2 service times and it being so close to Christmas, there weren't a lot of kids there, but we still had no problem hearing Wyndham:)
On Christmas Eve, we went sledding with church friends insub-zero weather. We were out about 2 minutes and Wyndham was already purple! We thawed out and attended a beautiful Christmas Eve service at our church that night. It was PACKED. Randy was involved in the entire service, so I had to field the girls by myself in the sanctuary as it was a family service with no child care provided. Wyndham sang every song with gusto! A little too much gusto though... at one point as she fell off of her chair during Angels We Have Heard on High. Oops!
Following the service, one of the elders and his family invited us over for snacks and conversation. This was the first Christmas I have ever spent away from family, but I have to say, it was nice. It was nice being in someone's home and sharing in the community of their family for once. Though wistful for my own, I was grateful for the thoughtfulness of being included.
While we were away, apparently. good ol' Saint Nick visited out house. Albeit a bit early, but we figured he had a lot of houses to reach so coming early was A-OK with us.
Santa's Christmas Eve gift? Matching jammies:)
Christmas Day was gorgeous. The sun shone brightly and danced off of the snow. I was even able to take a Christmas Day run-- with sunglasses of course. We exchanged family gifts with one another and lazed and lounged in our jammies until afternoon. Randy gifted me with an Ipod nano and some running software to go along with it to encourage me as I have committed to running a few races this spring- a 5K in February, an 8K in March and a half-marathon in May. I feel so "professional" with my Ipod and spiffy shoes.
One of Wyndham's Favorite Gifts- her OWN digital camera. (Thank God!)
Another gift fave? A Lite Brite...I'm jealous =)
A family from our church invited us over for Christmas Dinner and we were happy to oblige! The couple has a 5-year old son who is also in Wyndham's preschool class so Wyn was delighted to celebrate Christmas Day with friends. This couple has a heart for community and invited a few other families who are either new to the area or didn't have any family in town as well. One couple (whose son is also in Wyn's class) just relocated here from South Africa. They are the sweetest people. It's so refreshing to know people from a different culture. They brought over roasted lamb and some other delicious South African treats. My mouth was in HEAVEN.
Some of the kiddos and a Birthday Cake for Jesus
We had a day or two to recover from our festivities before my parents came down for the week to visit us as well. There is just something about being with the people who know you best that is such a comfort. Grandma and Auntie signed Wyndham up for a "Fairytale Ballet" class that begins this Thursday. I am excited to get Wyn involved in something this winter as being house-bound is the PITS. One of her little friends from school just moved to Germany, so Im hoping that this will serve as a great distraction for her.
(I love the crazy levitating underpant picture:)
Randy hosted a New Years event at church for youth and their familes. My parents and I went over to the church for a while until bedtime approached. Randy rang in the new year with students, while my mom and dad and I toasted 2009 in our little duplex around the corner. It just goes to show- traditions are great- but family-people, are what really make the memories.
There were many memorable moments these past several weeks, but the one that will resonate with me for years to come came on Christmas Eve- Wyndham and one of her pre-school friends Ailyn were playing on the stage following the churchservice. Apparently, they decided it would be fun to climb in and out of the manger that was still placed precariously in the middle of the stage. Seeing what they were doing, I approached them on the stage and talked to them about having respect for God's house and the manger because it was very special. Wyndham proceeded to turn to her friend and say, "Yeah Aiylyn. This manger is SPECIAL." Then she turned to me and said, "Mommy, I have to show you something really terrible. It's this way" and she grabbed my hand and led me to the back of the stage.
There is a large wooden cross hanging on the wall as a backdrop to the stage. She stopped in front of it, pointed up and said, "Look mommy. It's terrible." My eyes immediately welled up with tears as I said,"Why is it terrible Wyndham?" "Because they killded Jesus on the cross". Looking around at the nearly empty sanctuary, I wanted to shout for joy and emotion as our 3-year old daughter recognized one of the most precious symbols of our faith. "But you know what Wyn? Even though the cross WAS terrible in every way, it also reminds us that Jesus did NOT stay dead. His Father called Him out of death and he is still alive today so that we can go to heaven and know Him forever." I squeaked out. "Yeah Mommy...do you think Santa came to our house tonight?" .... =) Ahhhh kids.
2008 was a hell of a year... literally. God has brought us through and I am thankful for His refinement and faithfulness. Here's to 2009 all that is to come!
2 comments:
Wyn always has been wise beyond her years. =)
Love the ballerina outfit and Santa bringing conditioner. I need to find one of those digital cameras for Noah. Maybe he would leave our's alone!
mmmmmm yes pumpkin lets get your panties off have some pussytime
Post a Comment